Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Converting the Mines of Bloodstone

So, I'm getting married next year, and being a massive geek, my stag do will consist of a weekend of D&D with my oldest and closest mates...all of whom are gamers. It is for this event that I am busily converting H2 - The Mines of Bloodstone, to 4e, a process I am really rather enjoying. 

One of the toughest "problems" is converting many of the classic magic items - though to be honest, I'm finding that my "higher powered" homebrew items are in no way unbalancing the game, and are serving as pleasant rewards for my beleaguered players. I want to keep (as I try to do in all my 4e games) the feel of earlier editions, without compromising the neat design and balance of 4e (too much anyway), so have to do some work when converting.

The same runs true for many of the encounters. As Douglas Niles wrote not only this module, but the Wilderness Survival Guide, and Dungeoneer's Survival Guide (the AD&D versions I mean), the adventure is full of encounters that convert nicely into Skill Challenges. There are also a lot of encouters that were written for AD&D's Battlesystem, which are somewhat tougher to convert - though with minions and mobs / swarms, it becomes pretty easy.

Anyway, here is another item I converted for the adventure. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am looking for conversions for the following modules:
    H1 - Bloodstone Pass
    H2 - The Mines of Bloodstone
    H3 - The Bloodstone Wars
    H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone
    Please and thank you

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Let me know.