Using My Monsters

Sunday, 8 March 2015

Gobbuth - Greater Daemon of Gluttony - CR 21 (Huge Fiend)

Gobbuth is one of a seemingly endless number of "greater" daemons; obscene, blasphemous spirits of ineffable malice, cunning and spite. He is described as taking on a number of forms, all of which are horrific and studded with wide slavering mouths. One of the most commonly given descriptions of him (and the form for which the stats below are given) is of a hairless, red or green skinned humanoid of impossible obesity. His mouth is wide and lipless; pulled constantly into a hungry leer. A sharp, hooked nose hangs over this, twitching as it sniffs out his next meal, and his eyes - which are said to be small, yellow and perfectly round - are described as "blazing" when they spot some new morsel to consume. He moves with terrifying speed in spite of his bulk, and is surrounded by a cloud of his own flatus and the stinking gasses released by the food that rots within the folds of his morbidly swollen form. Some accounts say that if one were to lift the folds of fat that hang from him, you would find that they act as lips to even more mouths - though these are shark like and huge.

 He is said to instill greed in mortals of the culinary kind; his influence making people glut themselves to death on anything they can fit in their mouths. Several cannibal cults are supposedly aligned to this daemon's teachings, and at least one ancient tale tells of an order of mages that feasted for three days solidly after summoning him to fight for them - only to die from ruptured stomachs and heart failure at the end of it.

On Arbel'Verdaniss, he is mentioned here are there, mostly in late 1st Age and early 2nd Age fragments that detail the conflicts between various mage clans and the last vestiges of the ancient Daemonori. Gobbuth is recorded in the Codices Infernatum Volume 423, kept in the Unified Order archives at Vistus Arcanai, where it is suggested he may have been bound, some time in the early 2nd Age, to a physical plane prison by a daemon binding witch hunter of that time named Casper Thaed. Whether or not this is true (Caspar is not recorded in any church's documentation - although records from such ancient times are impossibly few and far between) is, of course, unknown.

Anyway, just in case he does get free...here are his stats.

Gobbuth – Greater Daemon of Gluttony
Huge FiendShapeshifter, Demon (Chaotic Evil)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armour Class: 24 (Natural Armour)
Hit Points
: 334 (23d12+184)
Speed 45'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STR 25 (+7) DEX 15 (+2) CON 26 (+8) INT 19 (+4) WIS 20 (+5) CHA 22 (+6)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saving Throws: Strength +13, Constitution +14, Wisdom +11
Skills: Arcana +10, Intimidate +12, Deception +12
Damage Resistances: Variable Resistance 6/day; Acid, Cold, Fire, Poison
Damage Immunities: Psychic; Slashing, Piercing and Bludgeoning from weapons less than +2 enchantment
Damage Vulnerability: Cold Iron and +3 or better
Condition Immunities: Legendary Resilience; Poisoned, Unconscious, Polymorph, Petrification, Frightened, Charmed
Senses: Darkvision 240', Truesight 100', Daemonsight ;Passive Perception: 21
Language: Telepathy 200'
Challenge: 21 (33,000 XP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flatulent Aura: Enemies that start their turn within 60' of Gobbuth must make a D.C. 22 Constitution save or be Poisoned and Slowed (as if by the Slow spell) until the end of their next turn.

Legendary Resilience: When Gobbuth is hit by, or fails his save against an attack that would cause him to be Stunned, Blinded, Deafened or Paralysed, he suffers disadvantage on attack rolls for the same duration instead.

Legendary Resistance: 3/day when Gobbuth fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed at it instead.

Magic Weapons: Gobbuths attacks are considered to be made from Magic Weapons of +2 enchantment.

Daemonsight: Gobbuth can see through magical as well as normal darkness.

Vicious Acid: Acid damage inflicted by Gobbuth ignores resistance, and up to 30 points of reduction.

Regeneration: Gobbuth heals 35 (10d6) hit points at the start of each of his turns, unless he has taken damage the round before from a +3 or better enchanted Cold Iron weapon.

Spell Resistance: Gobbuth has advantage on saving throws against all spells and spell like abilities.

Variable Resistance: When Gobbuth is hit by an attack that inflicts Lightning, Thunder, or Necrotic damage, he gains Resistance to the triggering attack and energy type for 1 hour.

Innate Spellcasting: Gobbuth can cast the following spells without needing the material components. He is a 19th level caster, and his spellcasting attribute is Charisma. Save D.C. Is 20, and Spell Attack, modifier is +12

At-Will: Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Fog Cloud, Plane Shift
5/Day: Blur, Hold Monster, Melf's Acid Arrow*, Fireball*, Dimension Door, Fear, Bane
3/Day: Stinking Cloud, Slow, Wall of Force, Finger of Death, Animate Dead, Harm
1/Day: Power Word Kill, Feeblemind, Gate
* Cast at 2 levels higher

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
ACTIONS 

Multiattack: Gobbuth may make two Consuming Bite attacks.

Consuming Bite: Melee weapon attack, Reach 10', +13 to hit, one or two adjacent targets, Hit: 17 (1d20+7) piercing damage, plus 22 (4d10) acid damage. Target must make a D.C. 21 Dexterity save when bitten, or be swallowed by the Daemon. Swallowed creatures are blinded, deafened and restrained, and at the start of their turn suffer 35 (10d6) Acid damage, half if they make a D.C. 21 Constitution save. As an action, a swallowed creature may try to escape the stomach. This requires that they make either a D.C. 22 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Success means they appear in a square adjacent to Gobbuth. Hit Natural 16+: The target's worn armour or shield has its protection value reduced by 1d4 (multiple hits are cumulative). If this total equals or exceeds 5, the item is destroyed. Special: A creature that dies whilst swallowed by Gobbuth is consumed utterly and cannot be brought back by any means short of a Wish or the intervention of a Deity. Gobbuth will gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the slain creature's level (or CR) x 5 when this occurs.

Devouring Vomit (Recharge 5-6; Automatically when Gobbuth first reaches half hit points): Gobbuth brings forth a blast of unholy acids in a 50' cone. All creatures within this suffer 117 (26d8) Acid damage, half if they make a D.C. 22 Dexterity save. Failed Save by 5+: Targets worn armour and or shield's defence value is reduced by 1d6. Multiple hits stack, and if the total penalty equals or exceeds 5, the item is destroyed. Special: When this attack is used, any swallowed creatures appear prone within the cone, within 1d6x 5' of the Daemon.

Summon (1/day): Gobbuth may summon 2d4 Daemons of CR 10 or below with a 75% chance of success, or 1d2 Daemons of CR 11-15 with a 25% chance of success. These monsters remain until slain or for 24 hours, whichever comes first. They cannot be turned against Gobbuth under anything other than the most exceptional of circumstances.

REACTIONS

Threatening Reach: Gobbuth can make opportunity attacks against any enemy that leaves a square within reach, and not only when they move away from him.

Battle Shift: When Gobbuth is flanked, he may move up to 15' without provoking an opportunity attack.

Retaliatory Bite: When Gobbuth is hit by a critical hit, he may make a Consuming Bite attack against the one that scored it. If the creature is within 45', Gobbuth can move before making this attack as part of this same action.

BONUS

Belly Shove: One target within 10' of Gobbuth must make a contested strength check with Gobbuth or be pushed 1d4 x5'. If they fail the check by 6+, they are knocked prone.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS

Gobbuth can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The daemon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Bite (1 action): Gobbuth makes a single Consuming Bite attack

Foul Flatus (2 actions): All creatures within Gobbuth's Flatulent Aura must make a D.C. 22 Constitution save, or be poisoned. At the start of each of their turns, they may save again to end this effect, though if they are still within 60' of Gobbuth, they suffer disadvantage on this save.

Recharge (1 action): Gobbuth re-rolls the recharge on his Devouring Vomit attack with a +1 bonus

Recharge and Retch (2 actions): As above, but Gobbuth then makes his Devouring Vomit attack.

 Did you know, give or take for the organs, there are about 110,000 calories in one of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.