Using My Monsters

Friday, 27 November 2015

Stun Jelly - CR 10 (Large Ooze)

"I'd got past the outer defences; the warding glyphs, the Iron Defenders that spat sparking orbs of lightning, and of course, the old bastard's house guard, and managed to open the ancient vault doors beneath his tower. I'd shut them behind me, and risked a little magic to seal them, breathing a deep sign of relief when it didn't trigger any other hidden wards. I crept down the slippery stairs, the air growing wet and rotten around me, and soon found myself in a sloshing tunnel of mouldering stone, the floor lost beneath a foot or more of slimy water. 

"Wincing at the noise my passage made, I moved in the direction I hoped would take me closer to his resting place, although I was starting to realise I had made a serious mistake. By and by I came to a crossroad, heading down what I hoped would be the western way. Fifteen foot down, and suddenly the wall itself seemed to lunge at me; the stone forming a serpentine tendril of sizzling muck, which swung drunkenly at my head. 

"I lept out of reach and ran away, the image of the thing within the wall's slimy depths etched into my reeling mind...

"The Mage Tethyri, objective of my mission, his face melting into the viscous muck as he tried, futilely to silently scream at me to release him...

"I'd heard he'd had some Stun Jellies shipped in to guard his inner sanctum. I guess he didn't know they move, and got caught by surprise. I'm annoyed that I couldn't get a token from his body to prove he was dead, and more annoyed that the guild wouldn't pay me the bounty they promised for his demise. 

"Still, I'd rather have escaped with my hide in one piece, than risked the horrible fate that vicious old bastard got. Stun Jellies. Horrible things. Avoid them at all costs is my honest advice."

- From "Scamming and Drinking - a Bard's Tale"



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.