Monday, 4 January 2016

Ancient Iron Golem - CR 20 (Huge Construct)

I noticed an interesting thread over at Giants in the Playground, where many were lamenting the loss of some of the deadly resistances and abilities of classic monsters. I agree to a point, that some monsters are strangely weakened in the latest edition, and feel that there is still room for the "old school" style beasts as well as their modern kin.

In my campaigns, if you meet an enemy and I let you know it has the "Ancient" prefix, you know it's an old school version of that monster, complete with the classic immunities and resistances. They are often remnants of previous ages, beasts warped by ancient magics or have other, similarly impressive pedigrees.

Here then is an example - a "proper" Iron Golem! Have fun!

By the way, you may be wondering why I gave it Magic Resistance when it is already immune to spells that allow for a saving throw. The main reason is to ensure it gets advantage when saving against various miscellaneous effects and powers, and to ensure it gets a boon in those strange, usually high-level situations where weird effects change the normal rules. You can utterly ignore this if you wish!


Ha! Don't worry, my sword may not be magical but it is made of adamanti...uh...oh....RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.