Using My Monsters

Sunday, 17 April 2016

Dread Wraith - Medium Undead (CR 15)

"Err guys, I am gonna' up the CR on these things. They really kicked far more ass than I thought they would. I was expecting that encounter to be a roadbump, not a near TPK."

- Me, last game

Although they may have been floating around (pun intended) in earlier editions of D&D, the first time I remember seeing them statted up  as a separate entity was in 3.5, and I am fairly sure I faced them again and again in DD). 

Ormid and the gang are currently very close to facing the legendary Lich Gimble Brandersnatch (name created when I was 17, please allow for this), and are starting to face some of his more vicious minions. In the last game, they set out to destroy one of the anchors holding an epic spell in place over Lorehaven, and before the encounter around the anchor itself ran into a group of undead that were supposed to let them "warm up" a bit before the main event. The encounter involved a Bone Golem and four Dread Wraiths....things got messy....really, really messy. Constitution drain is VICIOUS in 5e, and things only got nastier when one of the NPC's died and returned as a Wraith..

Art from here https://www.pinterest.com/fig0012/tattoos/
They see me floatin' they hatin'....


Hit point drain + Constitution Drain is utterly, utterly horrible, especially if you don't have ready access to the spells needed to remove it (which the group don't). 

Anyway, the Dread Wraiths proved themselves to be a truly deadly opponent, and as I have their stats, I thought I would share, so other GM's can unleash the pain on their players!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.