Using My Monsters

Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Using 4e Fortune Cards to Reward 5th Edition Characters

So, we, like many groups, do not use XP to advance the characters. In my games I prefer to advance them at the appropriate moments, which stops the "mid adventure" level up, and allows me to accurately gauge the approximate power of the groups when writing. However, this sometimes leaves me feeling a bit cruel - usually after a series of challenging tasks or battles.

5e Version: You move an additional 10ft

In the Ormid et Al games, and now, in the PUG, I intent to start, when I feel the group deserves something, to hand out minor boons that last until a member of the party uses it, or until the end of their next long rest. These boons are actually those written on the 4e "Fortune Cards" - most of which translate seamlessly into 5e. It allows me to give something a bit different (and as it will involve rolling to determine the boon from a possible 440 boons) exciting and oft' different reward.
What do you think?

5e Version: As written, but you ignore all the "Vulnerability equals one-half you level" stuff, you just get Vulnerability

 Last night, the group got to re-roll any 1's they rolled for damage once. It allowed Ormid to inflict +7 damage with a spell ('twas a night of poor rolls).

5e Version: You can move an ally in any direction up to 10ft, then you move, without provoking opportunity attacks, up to 10ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Let me know.