Veteran's Solo Adventure

So, I've been off sick following an elective operation (and indeed, currently am still off, as the damn wounds is being stubborn), and I have been lucky enough to be able to run D&D daily through Discord with the Veteran. At the end of the last Ormid et al game, the warforged activated a dormant part of his brain, and became aware of multiple ancient distress beacons across the plane that belonged, he felt, to warforged. Sensing one close by, the left immediately to track its source.

Wanting to get on with the main quest in the next face to face session, we played the adventure over Discord...what follows, is that game. I apologise if its hard to follow. I have tidied it up a bit to make it easier to follow...

We use the incredible Avrae Bot for dice rolls, in game rule clarification etc. Can't recommend it enough!

*   *   *

Lorehaven, Evening, 4/11/53 (Third Age)

"No plan. Just heading straight there on foot at the fastest pace I can sustain."

As you approach the main southern gates, the guards tense, wondering what the hell is going on. However, when they see you, they back down, one of them calling for the gates to be opened.
Beyond, the familiar roads yawn before you, the frozen waters of Deep Pool reaching off into the distance, it's edges studded with the lights of the many settlements it holds close. You pause to get a sense of where you are going, and then head West, towards the beacon.
As a warforged you do not get exhausted, and so can go through the night. You should reach your destination by dawn....

You push on, ignoring the biting cold, ploughing, steam pouring from you, through the snows. The night deepens and were it not for the clarion call of the beacon, you would likely struggle to find your way. Trulls and bandits mark your passing with dread, slinking deeper into their lairs, and more than a few guests at a wayside Inn are shaken awake by your thunderous passing...

Still, as the southwestern skies are starting to show the first hints of the coming dawn, you come across Altersweir, a small town, little more than a village with delusions of grandeur, nestled by a narrow channel that leads to the open waters of Deep Pool. From the slight rise upon which you stand, you see that it comprises a dozen sturdy stone homes, built around a central plaza, a temple, and what seems to be a cluster of businesses by the channel. Two small fishing vessels lie, redundant, in dry dock by the channel.

Smoke rises from most homes, and you realise that the call is coming from beneath the ornate fountain that dominates the plaza.

"I'll head to the temple. Best give someone a heads up I'm about to smash their fountain and start digging. I'll offer enough gold to cover a replacement fountain. But this isn't a negotiation, Veteran is filled with righteous purpose."

You storm down towards the town, and find several terrified town folks waiting for you, drawn from their beds by the rumble of your approach. On seeing you, they panic, running screaming back to their homes....

" I'll head to the town square and announce loudly "FOLK OF ALTERSWEIR, DO NOT BE ALARMED. I AM VETERAN. I AM HERE ONLY INVESTIGATE STRANGE SIGNALS FROM BENEATH YOUR FOUNTAIN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!"

Hahahaha. Make a Persuasion roll. What language are you using?

"Will likely have to be trade."

Cool. Go for it. About half the people with understand...

"Persuasion check"

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d20 (3)
Total: 3

People, half sleep and afraid panic. They scream for mercy, and either run into their homes or out, barely clad, into the night.

By this time you notice that the door of the temple (which has the crashing wave symbol of Swaervar'Tritul on one half and Quaine'Ar on the right) has opened, and two men - one older, half asleep and half terrified (obese and thin haired with wide, pale eyes), the other in his mid twenties, dressed in neat robes of palest blues and silver, and bearing a faintly glowing spear - emerge.
Both baulk a little at sight of you, the older man gripping his holy symbol and stumbling back toward the doorway, eyes fixed on you. However the younger man grits his teeth, and demonstrates either remarkable bravery or a poor grasp of reality as he announces in a clear voice "Who sent you Golem? By the Lenient Force, I shall not let you harm these goodly folks."

"I am no golem, priest. As I said I am The Veteran and I am here to investigate strange signals emanating from beneath your towns fountain".

Both men seem quite taken aback when you speak, and the older man stammers. "Th- the Veteran that saved the North? Ormid's Son?"

"Son. Error. Discoverer. Correct. I am here seeking others of my kind. Warforged. Your fountain holds information I seek."

Both men look at each other with puzzled expressions. Snow begins to silently drift down from the slowly lightening sky, and a slight, frozen breeze breathes across the town. The younger man speaks. "The fountain? I know the statue on it is relatively new, a few decades old. The foundations though, run deep. I also know that the water that flows from it comes from my Lord's realm, and not some hidden place in this one"

"Could it be," wonders the older man out loud, "There is a space beneath it?"

(It is now about 5am on the 5/11/53)

A few townsfolk have crept out now, and you notice a couple of menfolk have longbows and swords with them - though non make even the slightest hostile gesture, seeming awed and terrified of you.

"Thank you priests. I apologise in advance for any damage cause. I will replace any part of the fountain that is destroyed during my investigation".

I will immediately set to examine the fountain. If I can remove the statue I'll do that first.

They look at you and then realise what you are saying. The younger man moves to say something, but the older priest stops him with a stare and a sharp shake of the head...

The Fountain:

So, the statue depicts a human, dundorin and Lir'Aelwyn all stood, side by side, looking southwestwards - no doubt some comment on the alleged unity of the three major races locally. It must weigh many tons. A wide, circular, shallow bowl holds the central carving, currently filled with ice. Icicles cluster around the mouths of the carved figures, and you guesse they normally spout water.

Make an Investigation check. And describe what exactly you are doing.

"I'll check the base first and then move to the statues themselves."

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d20 (18) + 1
Total: 19

Oooh hero point on that roll.

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d6 (1)
Total: 1

"Investigation 20"

You look over the statue, and notice that, just as the cleric said, the statue is much, much newer than the base. You smash the ice, removing the heavy chunks, and looking at the bottom of the basin, realise that it is designed to fold downwards, forming spiral stairs. How it works however?

The beacon seems to scream louder...

"I'll use my once per day +10"

Make an Athletics check

"Can the statue be turned?"
"Okay"

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (14) + 28
Total: 42

Hahahahaha! Using your +10 I take it?

"Yep"

You grip the statue, and begin to apply pressure, activating the arcane circuits that grant you a momentary, substantial burst of strength. Within seconds, you hear the stone supports within the base of the statue fragment, and you are suddenly carrying the full weight of the thing, which is starting to get really heavy...
Dropping it?

You did not feel there was any "give" in the statue or its base as you turned it.

You hear a collective gasp of shock and disbelief from the half dozen or so villagers who are watching you, and hear them scrambling to get away as you turn, holding the 2 tonne statue in your hands, you unnatural strength now waning...

(2 tonnes = 4409.25 lbs). Not sure what your drag weight is, but...

"Ha ha oops can I move the fountain to the side and see if I can see if I can see the route down."

Yeah, sure. You dump the statue, which immediately breaks in half on the floor, and stomp towards the exposed stump of the old fountain. At once you feel an odd rush of nostalgia, for the decoration on this part, though hugely worn away by time, is that so commonly seen during the ages of the great Guilds.

Make another Investigation check.
(What's your strength?)

"Strength 25 without the temporary boost"

"Investigation check"

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d20 (9) + 1
Total: 10

Holy crap, so your lift limit is 1,500 lbs... Or 1.5 tonnes

Anywho....


You look over the stump of the fountain, and notice that the core is some kind of dull metal. Other than that, you notice nothing more, and suddenly wish you had the Vyrleen's keen eyes or Ormid's artificer expertise to call on.

The snow falls a little heavier.
The crowd has grown larger...

"Ha I just checked in Google and Veteran could pick up and throw my car! I'm the Incredible Hulk"

"Okay let's make the assumption I'm not going to find any well crafted secret, and let's go with my main 'strength', brute force!"

What's the plan?

"I'm thinking of activating my Belt of the Umber Hulk and dig down to where the stairs woukd emerge if I were able to activate them. Or I'll just excavate the whole area one 9ft level at a time."

Hahahaha. You will the belt to life, and at once begin to chew into the stone. The villagers are silent as they watch you begin to rip their fountain apart. However, as you dig a foot down, there is a sudden crack and at once you detect the presence of a cocktail of noxious gasses, mostly associated with decomposition, suddenly hissing from a dark space below.
Almost at once the nearest villagers start to cry out and retch, their eyes watering. As the Carrion stink spreads, they fly, vomiting and gagging, back to their homes. A few more moments pass, and you clear a hole big enough to fit through. Beneath it, is utter darkness - a vast, stinking space....

Do you have Darkvision?

"Nope but I have a light spell attachment for my head."

You unleash your headlamp, and the beam stabs into the gulf beneath the fountain. There is a drop of about 40ft, into a vast cavern, too large to see much of from your current spot. However, the ground... The ground seems to be covered in hundreds of ancient, rusted, decaying warforged....

These are the source of the vile stink.

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Can I try to climb down?"

Sure. You can Tie a rope to the statue base, and easily lower yourself down. You'll need about 60ft rope.

You secure the rope and drop down into the cavern. As you descend, your sensors alert you to the toxic nature of the atmosphere, and you realise that had your companions joined you, they would be in trouble.

Soon you are standing on the piled, scummy bodies of your...
... The pile trembles beneath your feet. Gasses vent from several spots around you...

A low rumble fills the air, and then you become aware of a sussurus of squeaks and groans, as if the bodies are... Oh shit...

"I'll start talking in machine cant. "I come in peace brothers!"

You desperately cry out in the machine cant of your kind, a sick realisation setting in as, across the floor of the vast chamber, numerous sets of pale green eyes, undead woeforged eyes, start to shine. At your feet, at least a dozen of the ancient dead begin to stir, rattling and groaning to animation.
Worse, something rumbles and thrums beneath the piled dead... Something huge, though currently buried by the massed cadavers...

"Woeforged?"

"What is this blasphemy! Brothers what fate has befallen you? What nightmare denies you your eternal sleep?"

As one, at least a hundred of the corpses begin to Shamble brokenly to their feet, the air filled with wheezing mechanisms and squealing, atrophied joints. Beneath your feet, where older, far more damaged warforged bodies lie mixed with ancient rubble and bone fragments, the unknown something rumbles with increasing strength...

"Humanoid emotions are interfering with Veterans OS."

Roll Initiative. They have no such issues... And you are surrounded...

"Settling himself to his usual operating procedures, he draws The Annihilator and plants the dragonscale tower shield and (almost sadly) prepares himself for his calling.... WAR"

Woeforged Junkers...

@Sefotron game_die
Result: 1d20 (17) - 1
Total: 16

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d20 (20) + 2
Total: 22
Critical Hit!

OK, you go first. You are surrounded by at least thirty of the dead things, though only 8 can reach you at once. They press in on you, talons extended, empty, dripping faces emitting choked, snarling code.

"I'll activate my Unyielding Avalanche stance. Then 4 attacks on the nearest ones to either side.

Hit ACs of:
21
20
31
36"

Four hits...each blow takes out three of the undead, smashing them to bits...

... However, a wall of undead closes in on you..
Anything else you wanna do?

"Brace for impact!"

"At the start of their turn all enemies within reach take 1d12+11+4d6 from Unyielding Avalanche stance."

So, another 16 undead are instantly shredded, their decrepit parts flying back. However, the press of undead stumbles in... 8 attack (all are flanking)

" Yikes!"

(28 slain so far)

(I make 8 attacks with advantage, and get some great rolls)

All missed?

"Yes, but a few too close for comfort!"

They lash out at you, your heavy plating just managing to deflect their strikes... The ground heaves again, and more blasts of gas shriek into the air.

Your go!

"Same as before 4 attacks vs those within 10ft reach."

The Annihilatior weaves a deadly net around you, slashing, blasting and burning them instantly. As the ones next to you fall, your whirling blades slice into the others, and another 24 fall...

(48 slain so far)

Even more Shamble past your blades to strike.

(I roll another 8 attacks with advantage. All miss except for the last one....)

@Sefotron game_die
Result: 2d20kh1 (20, 20) + 5
Total: 25
Critical Hit!

Roll.your Fortification

"Double crit .... nasty!"

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d100 (85)
Total: 85

"Nope"

!r 2d10+3

@Sefotron game_die
Result: 2d10 (1, 10) + 3
Total: 14

After your DR, 5 slashing damage...

At the end of the round, make a Dexterity save as the ground rises and falls as if something vast is pushing up from beneath...

@Veteran game_die
Result: 1d20 (3) + 8
Total: 11

You manage, just, to keep your feet...

The undead stumble and fall, allowing you a view of the chamber. It is litten by a foxfire glow, emanating from whatever is trying to burst through from below. The beacon screams louder, but now its message is changed; gurgling and exultant.
"NAAGH HAHAHAGH! THE TRAP IS SPRUNG! FOR THE EBON EYE! FOR THE SHADOW REBORN!"

From below, a huge, pitted scythe rips upwards, slicing multiple woeforged in half...

What you doing?

""I think you'll find it is you trapped in here with me abomination!"*

*copyright Rorschach"

"No time like present. Let's bring it on you big Windows Vista running MF!"

The owner of the pitted scythe emerges from below, the woeforged tumbling off it like leaves. It clambers, wheezing and bellowing to its full height, flourishing its scythe on one arm, and a huge filth bleeding hammer on the other....

It's a woeforged titan...

(it rolls initiative 7)

You charge towards the pestilential thing, and feel a sick, suffocating energy envelop you as you draw close...

You charging straight in?

"It's probably a bad idea but yes"

OK, you charge in, barely coming to the horrors' knee, the Annihilatior blazing. The air around this thing is dead, rotten with necrotic energy, and you can feel it corroding you even as you enter it...

OK, attacking?

"4 attacks vs Rotten Juuuuustice."

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (7) + 17
Total: 24

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (8) + 17
Total: 25

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (4) + 17
Total: 21

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (19) + 17
Total: 36


"So ACs of:
21
24
25
36 (crit)"

Three hits. Fortification Vs the Crit... (it has 75% Fortification)

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d100 (71)
Total: 71


Crit is a normal hit

"Oh for good fortification :sob:"

So, it has resistance vs Fire and Thunder.

Roll thy damage (halving fire and thunder)

"I'll make the fire bane"

AvraeBOT - Today at 2:58 PM
@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 3d12 (11, 8, 9) + 15
Total: 43

"Okay didn't type the command correctly. That should be 73 damage. Metaline if that makes a difference."

Now for energy damage

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 9d6 (2, 6, 4, 1, 2, 1, 6, 6, 4)
Total: 32

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 3d6 (2, 4, 1)
Total: 7


"So a further 32 lightning and bane fire damage and 3 thunder damage."

Whoosh. 108 damage (you do notice the blade reconfigures, becoming Adamantium) The titan reels, your blows ripping into the bloated, rusty armour of its lower abdomen...

Titan uses a Legendary Action...

The hammer swings at you...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (4) + 16
Total: 20

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAJWJWJQ

The huge, filthy, rot imbued hammer, dripping black sizzling slime swings at you. However, you easily parry the blow...

8 more of the Zombie like woeforged rise and Shamble to attack, the titan able to reach over them...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (7, 11) + 5
Total: 16
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (17, 5) + 5
Total: 22
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (4, 2) + 5
Total: 9
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (18, 11) + 5
Total: 23
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (15, 11) + 5
Total: 20
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (20, 14) + 5
Total: 25
Critical Hit!
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (19, 19) + 5
Total: 24
@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (13, 13) + 5
Total: 18
Sefotron - Today at 3:23 PM

Roll fortification vs Crit.

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d100 (46)
Total: 46

Nope

A just realised, at the end of your turn, make a Con save vs Necrotic
Crit damage...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d10 (1, 9) + 3
Total: 13

So, after you DR, a mere 4 slashing damage from the minion.

The titan goes next...

Veteran - Today at 3:39 PM
Saves vs necrotic (rolls 26, a save)

So, as you landed your final blow, the dolorous aura bleeding from the ancient warrior begins to corrode your body.

AvraeBOT - Today at 3:43 PM
@Sefotron :game_die:

Necrotic: 6d8 (6, 4, 7, 4, 3, 3) / 2
Total: 13

13 Necrotic (before your reduction)

A horrific space opens in the things chest, revealing a pulsing throat like tube. At once, the air around you begins to resonate violently, every single woeforged minion exploding into grotesque globules of rot and rust.

And now....another Constitution saving throw (Vs Thunder) please, as the Thunder Cannon of the titan speaks...

@Veteran
Result: 1d20 (20) + 12
Total: 32

The pressure wave hits you like a physical blow, and you almost bow under the sheer weight. Countless alerts blaze across your auspex as multiple systems are hit. However, you are made of tougher stuff, and you resist the main brunt of the blast. Any resistances or reductions Vs Thunder?


@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 20d8 (1, 5, 4, 7, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 8, 7, 4, 2, 1, 5, 4)
Total: 73

So, 37 thunder damage....before you apply any resistances / reductions etc.(edited)

How you looking?

I have resistance vs fire/lightning/thunder and reduction 6 vs necrotic.
Currently on 247 hit points following that round.

nice, so you only took 7 Necrotic, and 18 Thunder then!

On then into ROUND TWO!!!

Vetters! You have started your round in the aura of death that surrounds the titan. You feel its mouldering power leaking into you, not just physically, but psychically...


What you doing?
"I'll use 4 more attacks vs the titan and then hero point to activate the Thundersong Gorget at the titan and as many woeforged as I can catch. I know titan has restance to thunder but need to break out the big guns."

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (13) + 17
Total: 30

Result: 1d20 (19) + 17
Total: 36

Result: 1d20 (5) + 17
Total: 22

Result: 1d20 (15) + 17
Total: 32

Three hits!

And is it a CON save vs the Gorget?

As I got a crit with 19 I get another attack (should have last round as well but forgot - doh!).

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (8) + 17
Total: 25

Another hit. Chance to reduce additional damage from the crit...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d10 (10)
Total: 10

Reduced to a normal hit.
Hang on...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d100 (53)
Total: 53

Yep, normal damage from the crit due to Fortification.

"DC 20 Con save for half vs the Thundersong Gorget. Thunder damage"

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 30d6 (6, 3, 2, 3, 6, 1, 6, 6, 1, 5, 5, 6, 2, 4, 5, 5, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6, 6, 2, 4, 4, 4, 2, 5, 2)
Total: 116

Roll weapon damage as separate attacks, as you may inflict enough damage to trigger something

Con save vs Gorget

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (13, 1) + 16
Total: 29

The blast rips into the titan, sending it back on its heels. However, built for war involving magic, it takes the massive strike easily, its armour denting under the blast.

29 Thunder damage then.

"Any smaller woeforged caught in the blast?"

All of those nearby were evaporated when the titan unleashed its blast. It will be a round or two before any more can attack...

Individual weapon damage

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (11) + 15 + 3d6 (4, 2, 2) + 1d6kl1 (6)
Total: 40

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (3) + 15 + 3d6 (3, 6, 4) + 1d6 (4)
Total: 35

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (8) + 15 + 3d6 (2, 5, 2) + 1d6 (1)
Total: 33

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (7) + 15 + 3d6 (5, 5, 5) + 1d6 (4)
Total: 41

"Okay the actual damage from 4 hits is 142"

The first two blows strike true, carving through the bubbling, rotted armour of the titan. However, as the third and fourth strikes land, so a disgusting mist of rotten fluids erupt from within, the titan roaring in pain... Two Dexterity saving throws Vs Necrotic please.

Also, a CON save vs Necrotic for the end of your turn...

Dex saves

@Sefotron :game_die:
kh1+9: 2d20 (19, 1)
Total: 20

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (4, 16) + 9
Total: 25

One save, one fail...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 5d4 (3, 1, 3, 4, 1)
Total: 12

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 5d4 (2, 3, 1, 4, 2)
Total: 12

"Con save"

So, 3 damage

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (10, 20) + 12
Total: 32

Whoah

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 6d8 (5, 1, 4, 3, 7, 7)
Total: 27

So no damage from the aura either...

Titan goes. First a legendary action, then it's go...

Legendary Action... Hammer...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (8) + 16
Total: 24

Missed!

Now it has its go

Thunder Cannon recharge


@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d6 (4)
Total: 4

Nope

"Does it still take the weapon damage from my hits after it's gooey counterattack?"

Yeah

It's looking pretty fucked...

"Good. I do not want to hit by tgat hammer I reckon!"

Your second two blows carve deep into its belly, swollen loaves of corrupted meat and septic haemolymph flooding out with each blow. The titan stumbles back, roaring like a wounded animal...

Two melee attacks...

Hammer then Scythe...

Hammer

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (3) + 16
Total: 19

Scythe

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (16) + 16
Total: 32

Hit!

"Yep"

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 6d6 (1, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4) + 9
Total: 29

29 Magical Slashing damage, and you are immune to the secondary effect...

The titan slams the hammer down, keening and shrieking in insane fury, but you dodge the stinking blow. However, the scythe manages to catch you, it's keen edge slicing in through your plating, and cutting into the flesh beneath. Flakes of the sickly, damp rust that covers the blade break off in your wound, but the tiny daemons of plague they carry find no home in your machine form...
At the end of the round, more of the shambling minions. Begin to rise in the near distance...

ROUND THREE

Your go!

"Okay rust bucket time to go to silicon heaven."

4 attacks vs titan.

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (2) + 17
Total: 19

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (9) + 17
Total: 26

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (12) + 17
Total: 29

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (3) + 17
Total: 20

"2 hits 2 misses I reckon."

So it has resistance vs the thunder
Otherwise roll the lot

"Hero point for another attack for good measure."

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (13) + 17
Total: 30

Yeah Three hits, so three Dex saves

"Are all dex saves vs necrotic?"

Indeed they are!

Damage

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (2) + 15 + 3d6 (2, 1, 2) + 1d6 (2)
Total: 24

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (11) + 15 + 3d6 (6, 4, 3) + 1d6 (3)
Total: 42

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d12 (10) + 15 + 3d6 (6, 4, 6) + 1d6 (3)
Total: 44

110 damage!


"So that's 105 due to thunder resistance"

Dex saves

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (18, 15) + 9
Total: 27

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (20, 9) + 9
Total: 29

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (14, 9) + 9
Total: 23

You avoid all the Necrotic spray. Constitution save at the end of your turn please, Vs Necrotic

Your blows crack the chest of the titan wide open, and the polluted, corrupted horror of its foul existence is laid bare. It bellows and gasps, but remains animate. Fluids surge from it covering the ground....

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (17, 11) + 12
Total: 29

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 6d8 (7, 6, 2, 6, 7, 3)
Total: 31

4 Necrotic damage after reduction

Legendary Action then attacks...

Hammer

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (14) + 16
Total: 30

Hit! Con save Vs Necrotic please!

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 4d8 (5, 1, 3, 5) + 9 + 5d6 (2, 6, 2, 5, 2) - 9
Total: 31

So, the hammer strikes hard, smashing into you. You suffer 23 magical Bludgeoning and (after reduction) 8 Necrotic

And that CON save vs Necrotic

"Con save"

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (5, 18) + 12
Total: 30

You feel a filthy "slime" of necrotic power slop onto you from the hammer, though it gutters and dies before doing you any harm....

Attacks now...

Hammer

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (9) + 16
Total: 25

Sefotron - Last Thursday at 10:42 PM
Hit!

Scythe

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (10) + 16
Total: 26

Hit!

Another Con save vs Necrotic please...

Hammer damage...

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 2d20kh1 (16, 15) + 12
Total: 28

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 4d8 (4, 1, 3, 5) + 9 + 5d6 (6, 1, 5, 4, 1) - 9
Total: 30

30 damage (with necrotic reduction applied) and you once again resist the Necrotic energy that seeks to infest you...

Scythe damage...

@Sefotron :game_die:
Result: 6d6 (4, 5, 1, 1, 1, 2) + 9
Total: 23

23 Slashing damage...
The titan roars in exultant rage...
"HE LEFT US TO WAIT FOR SO LONG!"

"Bastard!
"Do not fear titan, you will soon return to the base metals that spawned you and I will spend my life laughing at Ebon Eyes inability to trap nothing but rancid air".

So, it is your go dude...

ROUND FOUR

The titan shudders and steams, frothing flows of filthy fluids, mutated organic components and corrupted artifice slumping and swinging from its eviscerated form. It stumbles back, ebony sparks of necrotic corposant forming a halo of inverse light around its swinging, screaming, skull like head...

"Time to prepare for the 'true death titan. Denied you by your false prophet, but brought now with furious vengeance".

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (14) + 17
Total: 31

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (9) + 17
Total: 26

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (19) + 17
Total: 36

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (3) + 17
Total: 20

Extra attack from the crit

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (5) + 17
Total: 22

Three hits...

Roll that there damage

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 3d12 (9, 6, 10) + 45
Total: 70

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 9d6 (2, 1, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4, 1, 5)
Total: 28

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 3d6 (5, 3, 3)
Total: 11

"So 103 damage total with thunder resistance taken off."

And that good sir, is that.

You rip the Annihilator deep into the stinking chasm of the Titan's form, getting utterly drenched in its repugnant fluids, and strike at the stuttering,inflamed heart of the thing. The blade bites deep, and, with a final, horrible ululation, it slowly tips forwards and slams - dead - to the ground...

As the titan collapses, you sense a brief return to sanity before it dies, and, in a voice devoid of hate though heavy with regret it gasps....

"He is as much a victim as we. The Shadow that Rises controls him. Beware his traps... He has... H…-he hasssssss.....a parad... Para.... Ngine...."

As the titan falls,so the beacon fades. The animating force within the other undead flees, and the only movement is the soft fall of snow drifting from above.

The other beacons silently scream all around...

What now?

"Can I see if there is some way to collapse the cavern (perhaps with the Belt of the Umber Hulk) so I can lay my brothers to rest?"

You look around and spot several areas where there are marked weaknesses. Make an Intelligence check.

"Oh dear. This is why I travel with Ormid."

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (3) + 1
Total: 4

I rest my case.

Yeah, no problems collapsing this chamber...The only exit us your rope of course...
You can hear distant, frightened voices echoing from the town above. Folks are clearly wondering what evil has been unleashed....

"Brute force is always best. I will collapse the cavern (on top of myself if neccesary) and dig out. Follow up with the daily energy blast from the Annihilator to melt the remains.
"I'll speak to the brave cleric to inform him that the evil has been vanquished but to post a guard until I return."

So, as a result of your battle you have earned the following epic boon...

Knight's Valour

Prerequisite: Fighter, Paladin
Description: As a bonus action you can spend a number of hit dice equal to your proficiency bonus. You not only heal the appropriate amount, but enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the start of your next turn. Once you have used this power, you cannot use it again until you complete a short rest. You cannot use this ability if you have no hit dice.

"I will then head off back to the city to go to the temple of Namaea. I need to speak with the reverend mother about sanctifying the area and also what she may know of The Shadow That Rises."

You begin to dig at the edge of the chamber seeking to bring it down. Sure enough, within minutes there is a very deep, very ominous rumble that suggests the cave is about to....
Make a Dexterity save please...

"Knights Valor boon - sweet! :grinning: :thumbsup:"

"Dex save"

@Veteran :game_die:
Result: 1d20 (12) + 9
Total: 21


Collapse damage....

@Sefotron :game_die:
bludgeoning: 20d10 (8, 9, 2, 2, 7, 7, 8, 9, 6, 10, 3, 6, 9, 3, 10, 8, 2, 2, 3, 5)
Total: 119

"FUUUUUUCK!"

With an apocalyptic roar you are slammed to the floor and buried. Above the people scream as the entire central plaza, including a couple of homes, slump down into the sudden sinkhole that now yawns there, a mushroom cloud of dust and grime surging into the sky...

"Err oops!"

"Crap looks like my rebuilding bill just got bigger...
Can I dig myself out? Or am I gonna have to wait for an artificer to dig me out in a few hundred years? "

Hahahaha. As it is loose soil and dirt you can dig yourself out. Are you heading up, or at an angle? Basically, are you facing the wrath of the town, or slinking off lol

"I'll face the wrath of the insignificant meat sacks .... er I mean townsfolk."

So, you take a moment to register the damage you have sustained, and then activate the belt. Fortunately (you can only dig through solid stone 1/day) the collapse is loose enough to push aside, and you emerge a short while later, rising from the collapse like the ancient war machine you are...

@Sefotron
Result: 1d20 (15) + 3
Total: 18

@Sefotron
Result: 1d20 (16) + 3
Total: 19

@Sefotron
Result: 1d20 (16) + 3
Total: 19

As you emerge, three well placed arrows strike you, though non penetrate your plating and you realise the menfolk must be there with their bows...

Snow drifts through the dirty air, and people fall back in fear as you rise to your full height.

What you doing?

"The evil is vanquished. Return to your homes. Those houses damaged will be rebuilt. Cleric post a guard here until the ground can be sanctified. I will be back shortly".

"Then I'm heading off back to the city at full speed."

You are vaguely aware of a tumult of angry and terrified voices, the younger priest chief among them. However no one tries to stop you leaving...

Random Encounter check...

@Sefotron
Result: 1d30 (14)
Total: 14

By the time you reach Lorehaven, the sun has already set, and the snows are falling in earnest.

This is where we will pick up on Tuesday night...

Current date 5/11/53

Comments